Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Sociology Discussion: Do Violent Video Games Lead to Violence?

This is a forum discussion from my Sociology class. I though it applied particularly well to me, and thought I'd share my thoughts. It's a bit of a rant though, since I have a strong opinion on video games in general.



"Do you or people you know play violent video games? If so, what impact, if any, do you think this activity has on your or their thoughts and feelings?"

Not only do I know many people who play violent video games, but I myself play violent video games on a regular basis. First, however, I want to make a quick clarification about violent video games. My assumption is that when most people think of violent video games, they think of two games in particular (or variants thereof), namely the Call of Duty series and the Grand Theft Auto, which deal with realistic war violence and and realistic criminal violence respectively. These games, while realistically depicting violence, carry a number of warnings and suggest that the players be mature and over the age of 17. Too often, parents and/or children neglect these warnings.

I primarily play video games that are set in a fantasy setting and set reality aside. Their violence deals with swords and magic as opposed to guns and cars. This doesn't mean the games are less violent, but the authors take care to maintain a sense of fantasy in the game. I think if these games have had any impact, it has been positive. I have many fond memories that revolve around video games and sharing them with my friends. As far as my psyche is concerned, I don't believe I'm any more violent a person because of video games. I do enjoy my martial arts and whatnot, but that's a part of my personality, and not a result of video games. And, as far as grades are concerned, I've been an A student my entire life, and am currently writing a discussion for a college class as a 17 year old dual enrolled homeschool student. My thoughts and feelings toward violence are sensible and rational: obviously murder, rape, and any other form of violence are wrong. I have my moral, rational, and legal barriers. However, violent video games are simulations; the key is to use discernment and moderation, as in all things.

"Would you allow your children to play violent video games? Why or why not?"

Eventually, yes. However, I will not let my 10 or 11 year old play a game designed for an adult. I want my children to play video games and share in the experiences I grew up with. When I believe they have reached an appropriate level of maturity and discernment, that is when I will consider letting them play more violent video games.

"What do you think policymakers should do with the regard to the controversy over the effects of playing video games?"

What controversy? I believe the allegations against video games are preposterous and are excuses for immoral behavior. We as a society seek to place blame where it is not due, whether that is guns, the government, or violent video games. As I said, there are already measures taken to insure that only appropriately aged persons play gratuitously violent video games, specifically, the ESRB rating system, which was designed in order to help with violent video games. If a child is playing a violent video game that is not for him, that is a burden on him on his parent. If an adult is playing a violent video game, then he or she is responsible for their own actions.

I think the "controversy" about violent video games is utterly foolish, and a vain endeavor to draw attention and place blame. Humans are corrupt, depraved, and responsible for their own actions. I strongly believe that violent video games are not the cause for any murder or killing spree or whatever else we choose to blame on them. They are a source of entertainment, and are no more or less violent than any other violent book, movie, or TV show. Violent video games do not lead to violence.

1 comment: